RCI turns 40 years old today, marking a significant milestone for the company and the vacation ownership industry as a whole.
“When Christel and Jon DeHaan founded RCI on Feb. 4, 1974, they invented the concept of vacation exchange and forever changed the shape of the timeshare industry by adding an entirely new level of flexibility and choice to travelers,” said Gordon Gurnik, president, RCI. “Since then, RCI has partnered with some of the most respected companies in the hospitality sector to continue moving the industry forward. Today, we celebrate the achievements of each of our affiliates as we look ahead to the next 40 years.
“As we celebrate 40 years together, we want to thank each of our members for their enthusiasm for travel and their choice to see the world through vacation exchange. As a token of our gratitude to them, we will be releasing several exciting member and consumer promotions throughout the year.”
RCI continues to transform the industry with first-to-market innovations giving its affiliates a competitive edge while delivering a richer experience to owners and RCI members. Some examples include:
- The launch of RCI Resort Recognition program, which helped set the standard for quality in vacation exchange in 1991
- The creation of the first global points-based exchange program, RCI Points, in 2000
- The world’s first (and now largest) luxury exchange program, The Registry Collection, in 2002
- The launch of the first online video network for the industry, RCI TV, in 2009
- The unveiling of trading power transparency, which revolutionized vacation exchange with added flexibility and choice in 2010
- The first mobile version of an exchange website in 2012.
Gurnik continued: “Our track record of being an innovator in the industry is only possible thanks to the spirit and dedication our associates have for delivering the best experience to RCI members and affiliates.”
As RCI celebrates its 40th anniversary, it continues to look for new ways to bolster the future of the vacation ownership industry. In 2014, RCI has plans to improve its online experience and content with the goal of furthering positive messages about vacation ownership while improving the exchange experience for members.