Survey commissioned by Diamond Resorts International® reveals meaningful benefits of regular vacations
A new study conducted byNielsen on behalf of Diamond Resorts International® has found that Americans who commit to taking holidays on a regular basis are generally happier, healthier and have better relationships than those who don’t.
The study designated as “Vacation Integration Towards an All-inclusive Lifestyle” or VITAL, compared the happiness, health, vitality, relationships and job satisfaction of two groups of survey respondents in the US: those who reported that they vacation at least once a year, and those who reported that they never vacation.
More than 2,000 respondents aged 25 and older participated in the survey, which demonstrated that 76% of annual holidaymakers are more satisfied and happy with their lives overall, compared with people who never holiday. Also, a majority of respondents (52%) didn’t take all of their paid holidays days this past year, forfeiting an average of more than seven paid vacation days annually.
Dr. Atkins, PhD and Diamond Resorts International® “Vacation Doctor”, identified the “Top 5 Reasons Vacations Are Essential” based on the survey results:
- Vacations Can Make You Feel Sexier: 80% of people who vacation yearly report that “romance is alive in their relationship” compared to 56% who never take a vacation
- Vacations Can Make You Feel Happier: 76% of yearly vacationers report feeling “happy” or “extremely happy” compared to just 43% of those who never take a vacation
- Vacations Can Make You Feel Energized: 72% of yearly vacationers report feeling “energized and full of life all the time” compared to just 34% of those who never take a vacation
- Vacations Can Make You Feel Better About Your Job: 71% of yearly vacationers report feeling “satisfied to very satisfied with their job” compared to just 46% of those who never take a vacation
- Vacations Can Make You Feel Healthier: 56% of yearly vacationers describe their health as “very good” or “excellent” compared to 28% of those who never take a vacation
Other VITAL survey results include that while 85% report that their bosses are supportive of utilizing vacation time, 52% of the respondents still left 7.2 days of vacation time unused each year. It might surprise you, but among the pool of respondents currently in a relationship, 63% stated that their partner would prefer a trip over a material item for a gift.